Premise: A shirt for the Kapatid Mentorship Program between Stanford and Fremont kids.
Punchline: Pamilya mean Family. Family means no one gets left behind.
It's a black shirt; of great quality and emblazoned with a message packed with meaning. Of course I wear it. Whenever I see someone else wearing it, I think to myself or even just say out loud "Yeahh, Kapatid!" When it comes to wearing something as simple as a shirt for Kapatid, I find that I don't simply wear it, I don it with a sense of pride that comes from knowing that I am a part of something that is greater than who I am.
Together with the Kapatid Team, Mentors and Mentees, the Kapatid program is one big 'ole happy family of love, life, and laughter. Every visit is filled with good times, bonding, and an overarching sense of forging deep connections between Mentor and Mentee. We talk about so many things and do everything we can in those oh-so-short meetings every Thursday. The Kapatid Team is constantly thinking of new ideas or brainstorming over current plan. Let's have another retreat. Whens their PCN? Should we talk about the SATs? What about the Freshman Kapatiddies? We make sure that no one is left out or left behind because no one gets left behind. Who knew that a mere punchline on the back of a shirt could mean so much to me?
Kapatid is amazing, point blank. I didn't know that I could become so entrenched in this when I went on my first visit. Funny thing to point out: On my first visit, the other two Stanford Frosh that came were Richard and Janelle! Coincidence? Don't think sooooo. I love everyone in Kapatid. It's come to the point where I feel so bad if I let someone down. Case in point: I climbed a tree to get to the roof of a building to retrieve a volleyball I clumsily hit over the roof; it belonged to one of the Kapatiddies.
I've just realized that this post is almost entirely written in first-person singular. My bad. Kapatid isn't about self, it's about everyone.
Peace sign,
Paolo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment