For all the wonderful services and activities that PASU offers, for me, Kapatid, our high school mentorship program, seems to best embody the strong values of my experience of growing up Filipina, family and education. Being a part of this program has contributed to some of my most fulfilling and refreshing moments at Stanford so far. It has confirmed my childhood dreams of becoming a professor someday.
I'm really impressed with how much Kapatid has developed this past year. We started our first bi-annual scholarship, and we had our first annual winter charity show. In addition, this year, we have been able to make it to Fremont High School more consistently and have a stronger bond with the students. It will be hard this year, in a sad way, when their batch of seniors has to graduate, as we have all gotten to know them really well. It surprises me how receptive they are to what we have to say being that we are only a couple, if even, years older than them, and how much respect they give us. Saying that, it's not a one-sided relationship- I always come back having learned something new and unexpected about life in general.
Perhaps one of the reasons that Kapatid has been able to grow so much this year is because of the quality of our frosh interns. Paolo, Richard, and Janelle, thank you so much for your dedication and visions. Without your ideas, you guys MIGHT sleep a little bit more, but without them, Kapatid wouldn't be where it is today. Above all, I love all the times we spend together, whether it be cooking, baking, watching movies (sorry for falling asleep last time!!), sleepovers, shopping, running, singing..the list could go on. I'm so glad I got to know you three!
One aspect of Kapatid that I would love to improve is to encourage more participation from PASU Core and PASU members. It's unfortunate that some PASU members will never be able to meet these high school students. I feel that the visits can be very empowering. Thank you Rafael for all that you do for Kapatid.
Enough for reflecting for now though. Next week, we are having a visit on relationships and relationship abuse. This topic is particularly sensitive to this group of students, as one of the students last fall quarter, sent me his college essay, which revealed his personal struggle with domestic violence within his family. It will be a painful visit, but something even I have personal experience with. I think the unyielding strength of the patriarch that is so entrenched in many Filipino families is one of the reasons for this. Hopefully, we can end on a lighter note. I'll bring my basketball, it's beautiful outside.
That's all for now.
Love,
Paula
P.S. Update: Bb Alvarez (Stanford Professor/Fulbright Fellow) will be coming to Fremont High School with 5 of her other fellows (from Cyprus, Tanzania, India, Indonesia) to observe what an American classroom is. I set her up with EJ and Mr. Bo, the guidance counselor there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment